Child and Elder Care

Caring for loved ones is a growing concern for many in the university community. The University of Arkansas provides support and resources to help employees and their families maintain work/life balance while undertaking such responsibilities. 

Child Care Options

Finding care for children while working can be difficult, but with over 300 licensed child care providers in Northwest Arkansas, there is something for every schedule, budget and circumstance.

Jean Tyson Child Development Study Center

The Jean Tyson Child Development Study Center is a University of Arkansas family-centered program focused on best practices in early childhood education and enhancing the learning experience for university students. Early childhood professionals meet the physical, social, emotional and cognitive needs of all children ages eight weeks to five years old and provide individualized care for infants, toddlers and preschoolers.

Child Care Resource and Referral Center

The Child Care Resource and Referral Center is a non-profit agency serving Washington, Benton, Madison and Carrol counties.

479-751-3463 or 800-KIDS-LOG

Child Care Provider Database

The Department of Human Services / Division of Child Care provides an online search for licensed child care providers in your area.

Elder Care

With the number of senior citizens continuing to grow, many adults find that they are now caring for aging parents as well as young or even grown children at home. Providing this type of care can add financial and emotional stress to a family. As part of the university's support of a healthy work/life balance, HR works with employees to find the right resources and support.

Area Agency on Aging of Northwest Arkansas
The Area Agency on Aging of Northwest Arkansas is a non-profit organization committed to enhancing the lives of the Northwest Arkansas senior community.
Schmieding Center for Senior Health and Education
The Schmieding Center's mission is to improve quality of life for adults in the second half of life with the provision of personalized programs of education, services and healthcare for all stages of aging.
Caregiver Action Network
The Caregiver Action Network is a non-profit organization providing education, peer support, and resources to family caregivers across the country free of charge.

Leave and Resources for Child/Elder Care

Benefits-eligible employees can use sick leave when a member of their immediate family is seriously ill or dies. Immediate family includes your father, mother, sister, brother, husband, wife, child, grandchild, grandparents, in-laws or anyone acting as your parent or guardian. Follow leave procedures to inform your supervisor when you need family leave. Contact an HR Expert for more information.

If you meet the eligibility requirements for the federal Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), you are entitled to a total of 12 work weeks of unpaid leave during any 12-month period to care for your spouse or parent who has a serious health condition. The university requires you use accrued paid leave for as much of the 12-week period as it will cover. FMLA may be taken intermittently or on a reduced schedule under certain circumstances. Contact an HR Expert for more information.

Catastrophic leave is available for eligible employees when they or an immediate family member have a catastrophic illness or injury. The Catastrophic Leave Bank Program assists eligible university employees, after they have exhausted their earned sick leave, annual leave, holidays and compensatory time, to manage medical emergencies, injuries and illnesses incurred by them or eligible family members. For additional information, see the Staff Handbook or contact an HR Expert for more information.

Employee Assistance Program

The University of Arkansas offers an Employee Assistance Program (EAP) at no charge to all benefits-eligible employees, graduate assistants and their dependents. The EAP offers confidential counseling to help manage the stress of elder or family care and to identify and resolve personal problems that may affect your job performance. For more information, call 479-973-9072 or 800-542-6021.