The university provides immediate accrual of paid leave to eligible employees including:
- 12 paid university holidays
- Annual vacation leave earned by employees in appointed positions of 50% or greater, except for athletic coaches and nine-month faculty. Sick leave earned by employees in appointed positions of 50% or greater for employee or family medical purposes
- Catastrophic leave is available for eligible employees when they or an immediate family member have a catastrophic illness or injury
- Parental leave is available for eligible employees to provide care and facilitate bonding in connection with the birth or adoption of a child.
- Child Education Activity Leave is available for full-time, benefits-eligible employees to attend, participate or assist with children’s education activities.
The university also offers bereavement leave, court and jury leave, military leave, educational leave, voting leave, and organ or bone marrow donation leave. See the Staff Handbook for additional information.
The University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, will observe the following holidays during the period July 1, 2022 through June 30, 2023:
|1.||July 4, 2022||Independence Day|
|2.||September 5, 2022||Labor Day|
|3.||November 24, 2022||Thanksgiving Day|
|4.||November 25, 2022||Thanksgiving Holiday*|
|5.||December 23, 2022||Christmas Eve (observed)|
|6.||December 26, 2022||Christmas Day (observed)|
|7.||December 27, 2022||In lieu of Veteran's Day|
|8.||December 28, 2022||In lieu of employee's birthday|
|9.||December 29, 2022||Charged to annual leave|
|10.||December 30, 2022||Charged to annual leave|
|11.||January 2, 2023||New Year’s Day (observed)|
|12.||January 16, 2023||Dr. Martin Luther King’s Birthday|
|13.||March 24, 2023||Friday of Spring break, in lieu of Presidents’ Day/Daisy Gatson Bates Day|
|14.||May 29, 2023||Memorial Day|
*If approved by Governor
When a holiday (except December 25) falls on a Saturday, the preceding Friday is observed; when December 25 falls on a Saturday, the following Monday is observed. When a holiday (except December 24) falls on a Sunday, the following Monday is observed.
All regular salaried and non-student extra help employees are eligible to receive holiday pay provided they are in paid status the last scheduled work day before the holiday and the first scheduled work day after the holiday, in accordance with Arkansas Code Ann. §1-5-104.
Employees who work less than full-time may take the holiday at a rate proportionately equal to their time worked. For example, if an employee works half-time, a holiday would be granted equivalent to four (4) hours.
Revised May 27, 2021
Revised June 16, 2020
Revised June 17, 2019
Revised May 22, 2018
Revised April 26, 2017
Revised March 23, 2016
Revised November 20, 2015
Revised May 11, 2015
Reformatted for Web November 24, 2014
Revised November 18, 2014
Revised May 14, 2014