Social Security

As a university employee, unless you are a full-time student and work less than 20 hours a week, you are covered by federal Social Security and Medicare insurance. You pay a portion of the tax to fund this coverage when it is withheld as a percentage of your gross salary. The university pays a matching amount which is credited to your account. The percentage of your gross salary which is withheld for Social Security and Medicare is set by federal law. If you have any questions about benefits under the Social Security system, call or visit the local Social Security Administration offices. You may request specific information about your own Social Security account, and should do so periodically, to ensure that your account is being credited properly. The Social Security Administration requires, for your benefits protection, that the name under which you are paid and to which your Social Security payments are credited must be identical to the name on your Social Security card.

Monday, September 28, 2009 3:00 PM