3.1  Eligibility for Employment

(Immigration Reform and Control Act - Public Law 99-603; AHRMS Policy Manual, 120)

Employers are required by federal law to verify that every person hired after November 6, 1986, is authorized to work in the United States, using the Employment Eligibility Verification Form (Form I-9). If you are a new employee, you will be required to present documents that identify you and that verify your eligibility to work in this country and to complete an I-9 form.

Although the federal government may, from time to time, change the list of acceptable I-9 documents, the following are currently acceptable: Documents that can be used to prove your identity and your employment eligibility are: A United States passport, a certificate of United States citizenship, a certificate of naturalization, an unexpired foreign passport with attached employment authorization, an alien registration receipt card with photograph, an unexpired temporary resident card, an unexpired employment authorization card, an unexpired reentry permit, an unexpired refugee travel document, or an unexpired employment authorization document issued by the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (BCIS) which contains a photograph.

Substitute documents that can be used to prove your identity only are: A state-issued driver's license or ID card with a photograph or information that includes your name, address, sex, date of birth, height and color of eyes; an ID card issued by a federal, state or local government agency or entity with a photograph or information that includes your name, address, date of birth, sex, height and eye color; a school ID card with a photograph; a voter's registration card; a U.S. military card or draft record; a military dependent's ID card; a U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Card; a Native American tribal document; a driver's license issued by a Canadian government authority; or, if you are under eighteen and unable to present one of the preceding documents: A school record or report card; a clinic, doctor or hospital record; or a daycare or nursery school record.

Substitute documents that can be used to prove your employment eligibility only are: A Social Security card issued by the Social Security Administration; a Certificate of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State; an original or certified copy of a birth certificate issued by a state, county, municipal authority or outlying possession of the United States bearing an official seal; a Native American tribal document; a U.S. Citizen ID card; an ID card for use of Resident Citizen in the United States; or an unexpired employment authorization document issued by the BCIS.

Your department can help you complete the I-9 and other forms, including the university's Acknowledgment of Policies form and the W-4 tax-withholding form, that should be completed and signed on or before your first day of employment. These forms should be completed and submitted before you begin work for the university and must be submitted to Human Resources before the university can release a paycheck to you. You may download the I-9 form and others from the Human Resources website, or complete the forms in Human Resources, if that is more convenient. Non-resident aliens must complete their W-4 forms in Human Resources to ensure compliance with Internal Revenue Service regulations.

 Friday, May 07, 2010 10:41 AM

Human Resources
222 Administration Building
Fayetteville, AR 72701
Fax: 479-575-6971

Human Resources Payroll Department
1001 E. Sain
Fayetteville, AR 72703
Fax: 479-575-5340