Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA)
The Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA), effective from April 1 through December 31, 2020, provides eligible employees with paid sick leave and expanded family and medical leave for specific reasons related to the coronavirus pandemic. A summary of the FFCRA can be found in a new posting from the Department of Labor, which is available in English or Spanish.
Employees of public sector employers, such as the University of Arkansas, are eligible for up to two weeks of fully or partially paid sick leave for COVID-19 related reasons (see below). Employees who have been employed for at least 30 days prior to their leave request may be eligible for up to an additional 10 weeks of partially paid expanded family and medical leave for reason #5 below.
QUALIFYING REASONS FOR LEAVE RELATED TO COVID-19
An employee is entitled to take leave related to COVID-19 if the employee is unable to work, including unable to telework (work remotely), because the employee:
- is subject to a Federal, State, or local quarantine or isolation order related to COVID-19;
- has been advised by a health care provider to self-quarantine related to COVID-19;
- is experiencing COVID-19 symptoms and is seeking a medical diagnosis;
- is caring for an individual subject to an order described in (1) or self-quarantine as described in (2);
- is caring for his or her child whose school or place of care is closed (or childcare provider is unavailable) due to COVID-19 related reasons; or
- is experiencing any other substantially similar condition specified by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
PAID LEAVE ENTITLEMENTS
Generally, employers covered under the FFCRA must provide employees up to two weeks (80 hours, or a part-time employee’s two-week equivalent) of paid sick leave based on the higher of their regular rate of pay, or the applicable state or Federal minimum wage, paid at:
- 100% for qualifying reasons #1 through #3 above, up to $511 daily and $5,110 total;
- 2/3 for qualifying reasons #4 and #6 above, up to $200 daily and $2,000 total; and
- Up to 12 weeks of paid sick leave and expanded family and medical leave paid at 2/3 for qualifying reason #5 above for up to $200 daily and $12,000 total.
To request leave under one of the above six reasons, complete the request form.
If you have any questions or believe you may qualify for leave under the FFCRA, please contact email@example.com.
Assistant Director of Benefits
Total Rewards Specialist
Director of Total Rewards