The University of Arkansas vision care plan, administrated by Superior Vision, covers eye examinations, prescription eyewear and contact lenses. Employees who enroll in the university's vision plan choose between the Basic Plan and the Enhanced Plan. The Superior Vision Insurance Summary provides a benefit overview of both plans.
Employees enrolled in the vision plan choose an eye care provider from a broad-based network of both ophthalmologists and optometrists. To choose a provider or ensure that your current provider is in the Superior Vision network, call 800-507-3800 or go to www.superiorvision.com. In the blue Locate a Provider box on the top right, select Superior Vision National from the drop-down menu, enter your ZIP code and click Locate. Scroll down to see the results. Click Advanced Search to select a wider search area of two to 40 miles.
Vision plan enrollment is effective for a calendar year. Once enrolled, you cannot cancel coverage or delete eligible dependents until the end of the calendar year.
Using the Plan
Superior Vision In-network Provider
- Identify yourself to the in-network provider as a member of the Superior Vision Plan using your ID card or providing your name, employer name and your unique identification number. All covered family members can use your ID card.
- The provider will contact Superior Vision to verify your eligibility and obtain an authorization number. The in-network provider will submit your claims.
- Pay the provider directly for any appropriate co-payments or charges above the covered benefits.
- When using an out-of-network provider, pay out-of-pocket for the expenses and then submit the receipts to Superior for reimbursement.
- You can file your out-of-network claim online, or
- You can submit the Superior Vision Reimbursement Claim form to Superior Vision along with a copy of your receipts.
- You will be reimbursed based on the out-of-network rates.
Discounts vary by provider, and not all providers participate in the discount program. Discounts are subject to change without notice and do not apply when prohibited by the manufacturer.
- A discount of 20% off amount over the plan's frames allowance
Lens Options and Upgrades
- A discount of 20% off retail rate (includes lined trifocal lenses)
- Fixed price standard options on standard plastic lenses include:
- Factory scratch coat, $13
- UV coat, $15
- Anti-reflective, $50
- Glass coloring, $35
- Solid and gradient tints, $25
- Fixed price standard options on standard single vision lenses include:
- High index 1.6, $55
- Polycarbonate, $40
- Photochromic, $80
Discounts on Non-covered Exams and Materials (Off Retail Prices)
- Exams, frames and prescription lenses, 30%
- Lens options, contacts and other prescription materials, 20%
- Disposable contact lenses, 10%
Refractive Surgery Discounts
Superior Vision Services has a nationwide network of refractive surgeons who offer discounts between 5 and 50% for LASIK surgery.
Claims and Appeals
If you have a problem or concern regarding a claim, call Superior Vision customer service at 800-507-3800. If you disagree with the decision or explanation provided by the customer service representative, or if you have a complaint about other issues regarding your insurance, you can request a grievance review.
Request a Formal Grievance Review
A grievance may be submitted to Superior Vision by or on behalf of a covered person within one year of the date of treatment, event or circumstance giving rise to the grievance, for example, the date of the claim denial. The preferred option is to send your appeal in writing to:
Superior Vision Services, Inc.
Administrator for NGLIC 11101
White Rock Road
Rancho Cordova, CA 95670
Attn: QI Committee
You may also fax your appeal to Superior Vision at 916-852-2290 or email CQI@superiorvision.com. Include the following information:
- Name of insured/subscriber
- ID number of insured
- Name of patient
- Name of provider/practice
- Address of provider (street, city, state)
- Date of service
- Description of grievance and issue, such as:
- Quality of care
- Level of service
- Claims dispute
- A concern or observation
Include specific names of individuals involved and any steps you have already taken to remedy the issue or dispute if applicable.
Superior Vision will send confirmation within 15 business days in writing or by email that your appeal has been received.
Premium conversion allows you to pay your vision insurance premiums on a tax-exempt basis. Your premiums are deducted from your pay before federal, state and social security taxes are calculated. Once you elect to pre-tax your premiums, you cannot change or cancel your premiums during the calendar year unless you are within 31 days of a qualifying event as defined by the IRS. If eligible, complete the Premium Conversion Change form to change your premium status.