Supervisor Development Program
The Supervisor Development Program (SDP) promotes excellence in selecting, developing and managing the university's workforce.
Certificate of Achievement
Participants completing all seven sessions listed below will earn a certificate of achievement.
This curriculum is geared toward supervisors with 0-3 years of experience as a supervisor. Participants will learn about the skills, knowledge and resources required to effectively interview, hire, develop, and address issues with subordinates as well as comply with federal and state laws and university procedures. Competency will be measured in a number of ways, including attendance, participation, completion of projects or reading assignments, and successfully passing a written exam.
The program consists of the following seven sessions:
- Workforce Planning; Interviewing and Selection
- Onboarding and Communication Skills
- Employee Engagement and Working with Multiple Generations
- Managing Time and Projects; Fair Labor Standards Act
- Family and Medical Leave Act; Introduction to the Employee Assistance Program for Supervisors
- Performance Management, Part I - Coaching; Performance Appraisals; Preventing Workplace Violence
- Performance Management, Part II - Conflict Resolution; U of A's Grievance Process
- Legal Issues in Supervision
Instructors and facilitators are selected based on their training abilities and knowledge of the subject matter.
Who Should Attend
Any full-time, regular University of Arkansas employee should attend who:
- directly supervises other employees (i.e. has the following responsibilities: hiring, terminating, disciplining, assigning/reviewing work, and conducting performance appraisals), particularly those with 0-3 years of supervisory experience
- is expected to start supervising other employees within the next year
- is an experienced supervisor who would like a "refresher" course in supervisory skills
First-time supervisors should enroll as soon as possible after assuming this new responsibility. Experienced supervisors are encouraged to refresh and reinforce their skills by attending and to contribute to the supervisor development process by sharing experiences during class discussions.
There is no fee associated with this program.
The Supervisor Development Program is completed in 7 sessions; it is vital that participants attend every session. However, sessions do not have to be taken in order. The certificate will be awarded after all 7 sessions are completed.
To register, go to the Employee Development Program webpage and click on the calendar. Choose the session(s) you would like, click the link in the calendar, and click Register. Enter your name and email and that's it!
For Additional Information
Contact the Employee Development Program at 479-575-5351 or email HR.Training@uark.edu.