University of Arkansas
222 Administration Building
Fayetteville, AR 72701
Fax: (479) 575-6971
How to Complete a Form I-9: Prepared for University of Arkansas Departments
- Each new employee hired after November 6, 1986, is required to complete a Form I-9 as a condition of employment.
- The Form I-9 must be completed no later than the third day of employment.
- It is the hiring department's responsibility to ensure that the form is completed correctly, unless the new employee is a Non-Resident Alien (NRA).
- Employees who are NRAs should contact Human Resources to schedule an appointment for assistance in completing employment forms.
- The University of Arkansas can be fined:
- Penalties of not less than $100 and not more than $1,000 for each employee for whom the Form I-9 was not completed correctly.
- These penalties may be charged back to University of Arkansas departments.
Step 1. Obtain form
- Access a Form I-9 with instructions from the Human Resources website.
- A blank Form I-9 may be reproduced provided the List of Acceptable Documents is copied on the back of the form and the instructions are made available to the employee.
Step 2. Review documents: UA department representatives CANNOT specify which document(s) they need from an employee to verify identity and employment eligibility.
- UA department representative presents the List of Acceptable Documents (page 4 of Form I-9 w/instructions) to the new employee and asks them to choose the documents that will confirm their identity and eligibility to work in the United States. (List of Acceptable Documents)
- Employee chooses one document from List A -or- two documents, one from List B and one from List C.
- The documents must be original documents.
- If a document does not appear to be genuine, contact Human Resources for assistance: (479) 575-5351.
Step 3. Complete the Form I-9: The Form I-9 cannot be completed in pencil.
- Section 1: This section is completed and signed by the new employee.
- If the employee checks the box "An Alien authorized to work until ____" they need to make an appointment to see the Non-Resident Alien coordinator in Human Resources (575-2158)
- Preparer and/or Translator Certification: This section must be completed if an employee is unable to complete Section 1 on his/her own and someone completes it for them. The employee must still sign the form in Section 1.
- Section 2: This section is complete by the UA department representative who viewed the employee's original documentation establishing identity and eligibility to work in the United States.
- Certification: UA department representative who completed Section 2 should complete and sign this section. Do not forget to include the:
- Employee's hire date
- Hiring department's complete address
- Section 3: This section should only be completed and signed by officials in Human Resources.
Step 4. Forward the employee's original Form I-9 with E-Verify Case Verification, along with photocopies of document(s) and additional employment forms. (University Acknowledgement of Policies form, W-4, and the direct deposit authorization) to Human Resources, 222 ADMN
The data from the Personnel Data Form can be entered into BASIS by departmental representatives with access to the PERS module once the wage rate or PACT is approved. The Personnel Data Form should be shredded after data entry is completed.