skip navigation

Employee Assistance Program

Everyone has problems at one time or another.  Problems sometimes start small, but can grow and spread to other areas of a person's life, threatening a marriage, a career or both.

As a commitment to the well-being of valued employees, the University has contracted Arkansas Employee Assistance Program to provide confidential counseling, information, and management consultation for employees who experience some form of personal distress.

The AEAP is offered to eligible employees and their immediate family members. Those who may use it are benefits-eligible employees who are regularly-appointed 50% or more and their immediate families.  The University has paid the cost of the program.  Typically, problems are resolved within EAP. At times, assessment may indicate a need for services beyond the EAP.  The cost of these services, if any, will be the responsibility of the employee.

The AEAP is not a cure-all and it doesn't get involved in grievance or disciplinary problems and it is not designed to replace any personnel or management procedures.  However, the AEAP is certainly a good place to start when you are facing problems.

State and federal law and professional standards of confidentiality protect employee privacy. Any records or notes remain in the AEAP and do not become a part of a personnel file. AEAP will release only that information that you expressly authorize.

Appointments are made for non-emergency situations during day or evening hours. But the AEAP is available for emergency situations 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. To schedule an appointment, phone 1-800-542-6021 or 973-9072. Use the 1-800 number after hours and on weekends and holidays.

To learn more about the AEAP visit their website at, or contact to arrange for a counselor to attend your next staff meeting.

EAP Newsletter
What is an Employee Assistance Program?

An employee assistance program is designed to provide confidential assistance in the identification and resolution of productivity problems associated with employees impaired by personal concerns, such as health, marital, family, financial, alcohol, drug, legal, emotional, stress, or other personal concerns which may adversely affect employee job performance.

Sunday, September 20, 2009 7:12 PM

Do I have to use my leave time to go to the AEAP?

No. You will not be charged leave for your visits to the AEAP if you make prior arrangements with your supervisor.

Supervisors are encouraged to allow release time for employees to access the AEAP. AEAP will release only information that is expressly authorized, but it may tell your supervisor (at the supervisor's request) when you arrived for your appointment and when you left if you are not using leave.

If an employee does not want to disclose to the supervisor that s/he is accessing the EAP, the Arkansas Employee Assistance Program offers both daytime and evening hour appointments so an employee can choose to access services from the EAP after work hours. An employee can request the use of leave based on current policies. (Board Policy 420.1, 420.2; Fayetteville Policies and Procedures 415.0; AHRMS Policy Manual 105) See page 48 of the Staff Handbook.

Sunday, September 20, 2009 7:11 PM

Is the AEAP available to hourly employees?

The University contracted with the AEAP to provide services for benefits-eligible employees. The AEAP can assist hourly employees by referring them to a community resource for a wide range of problems and situations.

Sunday, September 20, 2009 7:10 PM

Is the AEAP available to students?

The AEAP is available for students in graduate assistant (GA) positions. Graduate students who are not in GA positions and undergraduate students may use the Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) provided by the Pat Walker Health Center.

Sunday, September 20, 2009 7:10 PM

Is the Employee Assistance Program available to retired University employees?

The main focus of the AEAP is to help employees with personal problems affecting work performance. The AEAP can assist University retirees by referring them to a community resource for a wide range of problems and situations.

Sunday, September 20, 2009 7:09 PM

Who pays for the AEAP?

The University has prepaid the entire cost of the program. If you are referred to a community resource in a specialized area, and you choose to use services other than the AEAP, you will be responsible for that cost. The AEAP counselor works closely with the employee/client to choose from a full range of referral options that are within the employee's health insurance benefits and financial means as well as meeting personal needs.

Sunday, September 20, 2009 7:08 PM

AEAP Information


Office Locations

300 N. College Ave, Suite 201 E.
Phone: (479) 973-9072

Little Rock
1123 South University, Suite 700
Phone: (501) 686-2588

Hot Springs
204 Nash Street
Phone: (501) 686-2588